Skip to main content

Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more . . .

So I haven't posted anything in a while and I've been trying to work on something but it just isn't quite done yet.  However, there has been a lot on my mind with Christmas coming soon and there were some things I wanted to write about so I thought I would just sit down and write this now and worry about what I've been working on later. 

  This morning I had the radio tuned to a local variety station that is currently only playing Christmas music (surprise, surprise) and the music only from Handel's Messiah's Hallelujah Chorus started playing.  I waited for the words to start but they never did so I just sang along myself from what I knew.  I found it funny though that a radio station would play the music from such a blatantly Christian song, but not put the words with it.  I was glad that they played the music at least but it made me think about the whole issue of not recognizing the real meaning of Christmas in a whole new light.  It does upset me to see this holiday be contorted into what people want to make of it and not celebrate it for what it really is- a memorial of when God sent Jesus down to earth- but as much as it upsets me, I realized something  about it today.
Those people that are offended when they are wished a Merry Christmas instead of a Happy Holiday don't want to face the truth, and they know deep down that it is truth.  Why else would it offend them?  If they really believed that this holiday shouldn't be celebrated for its real meaning, they wouldn't care what people said about it, to them or to others.  Listening to the Hallelujah Chorus without any words, singing along under my breath made me realize what I guess this radio station might have already realized: The people who are celebrating the fact that Christ came down to save us are going to have the true meaning of Christmas alive in their hearts whether others want to believe it's about Jesus or not.  It's one of those things that made me smile smugly.  Not because I've done anything smug but because nobody can steal the true meaning of Christmas because they don't like the fact that it's about Jesus.  Nobody can steal the joy that I have on Christmas or any other of the 364 days of the year because Christmas lasts for me all year round.  The reason for the season is Jesus and no matter how much some people want it to be about kids or presents or lights or toys, the real reason is alive and one day, every knee will bow to Him.  I say we might as well start by acknowledging the fact that shepherds did it 2000 years ago. 

This is sort of unrelated but at the same time related.  This is my favorite part of the movie How the Grinch Stole Christmas and I thought I would post it here for others to appreciate if they don't have time to go cue up the movie to this.  Enjoy and Merry Christmas!   

“How could it be so?”
“It came with out ribbons! It came without tags!”
And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before!
“It came without packages, boxes or bags!”
“Maybe Christmas,” he thought, “doesn’t come from a store.”
“Maybe Christmas…perhaps…means a little bit more!”
And what happened then? Well…in Whoville they say, That the Grinch’s small heart Grew three sizes that day!

Popular posts from this blog

to just BE

This semester of college is officially over as of last friday when I emailed my english teacher my final essays.  Halleluyer! I just checked and the last time I posted here was almost a month ago. It definitely feels like waaaay longer though and I've been itching to write again.  I've basically abandoned my podcast the past few weeks as well and while I don't feel all guilt tripped to be more consistent about these things, I really just want to do them more often simply because I enjoy them.  Probably needless to summarize, I've been busy.  But not always with matters I had no choice in.  Some of the busyness came from having spent my time reading or watching netflix shows while I cleaned my room or crocheting (or trying to) a full-size blanket or just chilling with Jake, etc. etc. etc.  Truth is that yes, I've been busy but no, I didn't have to be as busy as I have been.  However, being busy, I have accomplished things and I'm glad about that.  I guess it

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

But I Press On

We're not perfect people.  Nobody is.  I don't think anyone, in seriousness, would even claim to be. It's a fact of being human that we fall down sometimes. I get caught up in the non-priorities as if they really mattered.  I waste my time.  I try so hard to please the wrong people.  I strive for things unattainable that turn out to be phantoms in the end.  I hurt the ones I love the most and put my best smile forward when it comes to strangers. I. Have. Failed. When it's most obvious to me that I've failed, it's really hard to have any motivation to pick myself up and keep going.  There's nothing as discouraging to me than looking at how badly I've blown it AND the fact that it happens again and again. "But last time I tried to get out of this mud pit I failed so why would it be any different this time?", is the main thought that goes through my head when I finally realize my need to get out of the rut I'm in. "He lifted me o