Skip to main content

Life Is Like A Stage


There have been a lot of things lately that have made me realize that my life is really like a stage.

For a long time, life was a mystery to me.  It still is very much so.  There are a lot of things that occur in it that don't make sense to me and probably never will until it's over.  But as my perspective has changed over the years and I understand the concept of my existence more, life makes more sense.
I'll first say that in my eyes, existence and life on earth are two different things.  Life on earth will not go on forever, but my existence will.  So it really makes sense that life is like a stage, on which the contents of my heart are played out and made transparent, and then worked on until they are just the way they need to be. And like most activities done on stage, at some point my life on earth will come to an end, at which time, I will be critiqued. Only unlike a performance, in the real thing the opinion of only one Judge will matter.  And the point of life is to have what I do on the stage be pleasing to Him.

So you know how in plays or in a movie, there are those parts when everyone is drawn in and absorbed in the storyline?  Usually I'm drawn into moments that best display the character of the character(s).  I guess it's those moments, all summed up, that make the whole story.
I think life has those moments too.  Sometimes I have the privilege of watching those moments in other people's lives and even more rarely, I can see them in my own life.  I think, no, I know that in real life, those moments occur in what has been referred to as "the valley of the shadow of death".  I could probably go into a whole little Bible study on Psalm 23 right now but I'll try and stick to my point. . . Basically, I'm realizing some things about the valley of the shadow of death.

 1. Those green pastures from verse 2 of Psalm 23. . . where they were located?  Maybe the valley of the shadow of death?  Or maybe you have to go through it to get to them?  Pretty likely. 

 2. Not to make light of the fact that it is the valley of the shadow of death and it's not a fun place to be, but the shadow of death is just that- a shadow. A shadow can be scary but a shadow itself holds no threat.

3. (and my main point) It's in the valley that who we are is displayed.  God is always looking at the heart, but the valley is where how we really feel about Him comes out.  We've all heard the phrase "a friend in need is a friend indeed" and that's sort of the point I'm getting to here.
If we were always surrounded by pleasant things, it would make sense that we would respond in a pleasant manner.  But if, when we are surrounded by dark shadows of death, we still respond with love, the Lord is delighted.

He is concerned with the state of my heart and the state of my heart is expressed through my responses.  I have realized that if I truly love Him, I will be willing to do whatever brings those responses that show it.  I will climb on stage and do what it takes to prove my faith which in His sight is precious.  I don't want to feel sorry for myself in the valley of the shadow of death anymore.  It's actually my honor.

Popular posts from this blog

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace