Skip to main content

Washington, D.C. II (a.k.a. March for Life trip)

March for Life
This is basically my summary of the trip to Washington D.C. I went on in January to March for Life that my last post spoke a little of.  I thought I would write it up here since I already had most of this written down in my journal and it seemed like it could make a good blog post. Some of it might be a little redundant of my last post but it has more details and some new content as well. It's not a thriller novel, but it's a literary snapshot of a few days of my life.  Enjoy =)

United States House Chamber
Went to Washington D.C. on the night of Jan. 22 (around 9 p.m.).  Traveled by bus all night and got there around 10 a.m.  Then we went to the holocaust museum with our group and chaperons and then got to tour the capitol building with Marlin Stutzman and his family and heard stories about things there (statues, paintings, certain locations) from Mrs. Stutzman (Christy) and a tour guide.  We got to go into the house chamber (quite an honor) and stand close to where president Obama will (this was written on January 25th) give his State of the Union Speech today (but two days later from then).  Something interesting about that room, right above where the vice president and Speaker of the House are usually seated for the SOTU address, are the words IN GOD WE TRUST (but I have never seen that shown on TV).  Also, sculptures of famous leaders throughout history can be found mounted on the wall around the top of the whole room.  The leader whose face is above the door that the President comes through to give the SOTU address is that of Moses (but rarely is that shown either).
 Then we headed to St. Ann's Parish (a catholic church in Arlington) for the night where we had a pizza party for dinner and all the girls slept in the basement and the boys slept upstairs.  One of my friends washed her hair in a toilet and another friend and I helped.  We all got a little chewed out for it cause we weren't supposed to wash our hair in the sinks.  I'd like to point out that nobody ever said anything about washing hair in toilets.  Anyways . . .  I french-braided a bunch of girls' hair and one friend and I built a tent to shield us from the emergency light's light shining right down on us.

Hart Senate Office Building
National Mall
The next morning, some mistake about breakfast was made so some of us didn't get an official breakfast-we just snacked-but I'm alive today to type this so it wasn't that bad.  When we got on the bus to ride back into D.C., the woman who headed up the whole trip had an appointment by cell phone to be on catholic radio back in our home town and asked if I would talk too so I agreed to.  I spoke about my thoughts on touring the Capitol building the day before and my feelings on abortion and what it meant to me to be able to come on this trip.  We got off the bus and half of the group I was with (and I) went to Senator Lugar's office in the Hart Senate Office Building (the other half went to Senator Coats' office in the Dirksen Senate Office building).  Senator Lugar was unavailable, but we spoke with his aide.  A few of us got to ask him questions.  I asked if the Senator was "committed to voting to repeal the use of taxpayer dollars under the Obama health care plan to fund abortion" (yes, those are the exact words with which I asked) -to which he replied yes (hopefully that will turn out to be the truth).  Then we ate lunch in the cafeteria of the building (Senator Lugar's office building) and made our way outside and walked over to the rally where everyone there to march for life was gathered at the  National Mall (pictured to the up and to the left).  Marlin Stutzman came on stage for a minute and our group from the Allen County Right to Life got a shout-out (woot-woot!).
Smithsonian Castle
Then the march began.  It was moving slowly (as marches do) so we navigated our way through it a little quicker than it was moving so we could have time to go to a reception some legislators from Indiana were having for people from Indiana.  We got to see the Stutzmans again there (minus their boys).  After the reception, some of us decided that we wanted to go see the Lincoln memorial and after walking a ways, realized we wouldn't have time.  So we went to the Smithsonian Castle which was where the buses were going to pick us up.  While we were waiting a few of us strolled over to a museum of african art that was really nearby-it wasn't very big but I'm still glad I got to go to a little branch of the Smithsonian (especially cause I had just watched the movie Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian before going to D.C.).  Anyways, then the buses came and we all got chick-fil-a dinners for on the bus.  Two of my friends and I could't sit together so I sat by another girl I didn't know all the way back and got the chance to make a new acquaintance.
I got a tiny amount of sleep that night on the bus cause it's so hard for me to sleep in moving vehicles.  Well really more like in an upright position.  But it was o.k.
I wrote and listened to music and thought and prayed and I really enjoyed my time.  It made me realize that I really appreciate bus windows: they're huge! Looking out of bus windows is like watching a movie of the scenery you're driving past.  They definitely beat airplane windows, hands down.  Back to the point, we made it back to town by around 5:45 a.m. and arrived home by around 7 a.m. after unloading everything and dropping one of my friends off at her house.  I brushed my teeth and got ready for bed (now I know a little of what it feels like to work 3rd shift) and asked my parents if my sister and I really had to go to school on four hours of sleep so they said no, much to my relief.  They just let us chill that day which was a big blessing.
All in all, it was an amazing, thought-provoking, fun, sometimes frustrating, educational, blessed trip and I am so thankful that God made it all happen.  I can't wait to go back someday.


-anna

Popular posts from this blog

to just BE

This semester of college is officially over as of last friday when I emailed my english teacher my final essays.  Halleluyer! I just checked and the last time I posted here was almost a month ago. It definitely feels like waaaay longer though and I've been itching to write again.  I've basically abandoned my podcast the past few weeks as well and while I don't feel all guilt tripped to be more consistent about these things, I really just want to do them more often simply because I enjoy them.  Probably needless to summarize, I've been busy.  But not always with matters I had no choice in.  Some of the busyness came from having spent my time reading or watching netflix shows while I cleaned my room or crocheting (or trying to) a full-size blanket or just chilling with Jake, etc. etc. etc.  Truth is that yes, I've been busy but no, I didn't have to be as busy as I have been.  However, being busy, I have accomplished things and I'm glad about that.  I guess it

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig