Skip to main content

School's Out!

0 DAYS OF SCHOOL LEFT!!! WOOHOOO!
It feels weird. I don't really know what to do.  I feel like I should celebrate but I'm not really sure how.  Maybe it should be one of those thought celebrations.  Like when you communicate with somebody by saying hardly anything at all.  Yes.  I think that's what it should be.  One of those celebrations where instead of partying it up and yelling "woohoo!", you look the person who brought you through in the eye and say "thank you".  Maybe the only way we can really feel fulfilled by partying it up and yelling "woohoo!" is once we've looked that person in the eye and said "thank you".  For me, that person is God.
Having zero days left of school means more to me than just the end of tardy bells and state standards.  To me, having zero days left of school means that God has brought me through 720 days (in high school alone) and that I don't need to be afraid of the next thing he brings me through.
While I'm just jubilant that I'm done with high school, I'm not under the impression that life is going to be ponies and puppies from here on out.  On the other hand, I'm not fond of naming the next stage in life the "real world" as if up until now we all had been living in a figment of imagination.  The pain has been real, the stress has been heavy, the frustrations have piled up and the boredom has infected every one of us at one time or another.  But the joys have been overwhelming, the relief has brought us sighs, the light bulb moments are fulfilling and whether we all will admit it or not, school has been fun from time to time.  While life will be very different from now on, these things will always influence how I see life.  A new school, an old and dearly beloved school, much confusion, every teacher, every fellow student, every paper and every lecture were all part of life and standing at the end of all those things looking back on them, I cannot tell you that my life is going to be completely different now that they are all over.  It won't be because the one who brought me through them all and told me how to see things will be with me for the rest of my life as well.
It's probably good to walk on stage to receive your diploma knowing you learned something during the time it took you to achieve it.  And I know I will- I learned plenty of things.  But as I walk toward my diploma to receive it, I'll be thinking about the most priceless of all those things- that God has been, is, and always will be faithful to bring me through.  And for that, I want to look him in the eye and say "thank you".

Popular posts from this blog

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace