Skip to main content

Indierockcafe.com- a streamline of sweet music

(I put the music at the top so you can listen while reading, if that's your thing, instead of discovering it at the end and having to sit here and listen to the whole song with no music video or anything.  Sorry, I tried to find a version with one but I don't think a  music video for this song exists.  Sometimes it's easier to appreciate the musical side of a song without a music video anyway though so I hope that's the case here.)

First off, let me start out with saying that I am not paid or singing the praises of this website for any reason other than my own appreciation toward it.  Ok. Now that that's out of the way, let me introduce you to something that has changed my life.  By the way, I think that phrase is sometimes under-used.  So many little things end up changing our lives as much as (sometimes more than) the big and obvious life-changing things that are commonly the only things referred to as "life-changing". 

Anyways, a website that has recently proven itself life-changing and worth the visit to me is indierockcafe.com.  As of not long ago, I have discovered that I am a fan of the style of Indie music (although to say that Indie music is a certain style seems somewhat contradictory as it is essentially meant to be The Genre of Uniqueness, hence consisting of a large amount of the completely unique styles out there.  I'm confusing I know but if you track with me, way to go.).  With the happening of a considerably emotionally tolling situation, (and no, it isn't my graduation as you may think because of my last post) one way that I am reminded of the stability and comfort of Jesus is through music.  And not necessarily always worship music.  I would actually say the majority of the time it's not specifically "worship music" in which I find the most comfort.  In this instance, for example, it was Indy music that seemed to be just the thing I needed to hear.

It all started a while ago-the music I mean- before the situation in my life occurred.  I was wandering around indierockcafe.com when I decided to just download some of the songs I saw on the site- regardless of whether I knew I liked them yet or not.  (Let me clarify that all the songs that are downloadable on the site are donated by the artists themselves FOR people to download--so all the music I get from indierockcafe.com is legally obtained.  Just thought I should explain that and inform you of the good free music resource.)  I made a separate playlist for the songs (so that I could easily find and listen to just the new additions) and then put the songs on my iPod.  I can't really say what drew me to listen to that playlist even in emotional distress but I did and the songs on it turned out to be the perfect soundtrack.  One in particular seemed to explain my feelings, thoughts, mood and response to the situation.  I don't know that it was the words (it wasn't at first, but as I learned them better, I found I that I really appreciated them too) but the musicality of the song seemed to fit my feelings perfectly and I grew very fond of it.

You know how our brains associate things with each other?  Like smells to events, foods to places or music to emotions?  Well that's a little bit of what happened to me with this song and the way I was feeling.  At the same time though, because I appreciated the musicality of the song on a separate note (pun intended =) the song means more to me than just a soundtrack to that particular week of my life. It is a work of art that I enjoy as well.  Now that I'm not upset (as much) by what happened to me personally, I can still listen to that song and enjoy it.  Sure, when I listen to it I am reminded that what happened did really happen, but it doesn't necessarily bring back the emotions from it.  I think that right there is a sign of a good song.

Popular posts from this blog

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig