Skip to main content

Running Around and Eating Good: Best Time Yet!

I still don't really know what to call this genre of posts on my efforts to become more healthy and fit. (I'll label them all with Running Around and Eating Good for now. Hey, if you've got something better, let me know.)
So a few runs ago, I reached a new goal that I'm sorta proud of.
I ran my best time in a long time (probably since last summer) and reached a goal.   
Now, don't guess too loftily about what it was, but it is a personal best and I'm proud of it.  I covered 3.1 miles (so, a 5k) in 37 minutes.  Part of what constituted that was my longest time running without stopping for a walking break (which is now 5 minutes).  I'm a little sore, and I can feel it in my body.  And maybe it's just me, but I think I can see a teeny tiny difference too, which is always a nice pat on the back after working hard.  I think there were a few things that helped me accomplish this though, and I want to share them in case they can help you too.

Get comfy. 
For me this includes: good shoes, clothes that aren't going to do strange things when I start moving a lot, my hair out of my face, and enough food and water in my system to keep me from getting weak or cramped.  It also means that my form while I'm running is comfortable.  I don't know if it's the same with everyone but sometimes my legs start cramping if I don't remind myself to relax, that I've got a ways to go and that there's no rush.  I have to focus on not tensing up and instead just going at a pace that doesn't hurt and then I'm usually set.

Be inspired. 
I know for me, it takes a little bit of a mental pep rally to go running sometimes.  Not because I really don't want to go running, but because I'm naturally inclined to laziness and most of the time, if I don't decide to do it, I don't just miraculously find myself out for a run.  Sometimes, reading about other people's workouts or exercise goals helps me want to set and attain my own.  It reminds me that I'm not the only one sweating and sometimes cramping.  There are other people too, and they're doing it because it's good for them.
For instance, watching people on Biggest Loser type programs and seeing them overcome challenges a lot larger than mine (and see results!) is very motivational and inspiring to me.

Keep track. 
Usually, I'm not someone you can find talking about goals.  It's not so much how I think about getting things done, but with exercise, it can be really nice to see your progress and be proud as you put down your best time yet.  I guess it's not so much goals that help me, but rather keeping track of what I'm doing and always trying to do just a little bit better, which eventually fulfills the goals. 
I had wanted to cover 3.1 miles in under 45 minutes and it just wasn't happening at the pace I had been running, and that was okay.  It got a little better sometimes, but when I pushed myself last time and did my 5 minute stretch (after my 3 minute stretch followed by a 90 second walking break, mind you), it happened and I met the goal.  And it felt good.  I don't think goals should be the goal.  It should be enjoyable.  But goals should still be there because meeting them can be really enjoyable. 
For me, having apps that track almost anything you could want tracked for a run is very helpful.  My favorite is called WalkTracker.  Every 5 minutes I can (optionally) get an audio update on how far I've gone, my pace, calories burned, average mph, average minutes/mile and on and on.  At the end of the run it has a recap and you can visit your history to look at past workout summaries, route maps, splits, speed/pace graphs and what not.  All in all, it's been instrumental in helping me keep track of runs and encouraging me to keep getting better.

___________________________
What's Next
As far as my next progress point to aim for, I'm going to look for 3.1 in 35 minutes.
As far as eating well, I haven't addressed it much in this post.  Last week a family I was babysitting for gave me dinner- it was sweet potato and kale chowder.  And it was really good!  Foods like that inspire me to find healthy foods and go crazy making them taste the best they can- and remind me that it is actually possible.  This week I'd like to find and try at least one new, healthy meal recipe.  I'll let you know

Popular posts from this blog

to just BE

This semester of college is officially over as of last friday when I emailed my english teacher my final essays.  Halleluyer! I just checked and the last time I posted here was almost a month ago. It definitely feels like waaaay longer though and I've been itching to write again.  I've basically abandoned my podcast the past few weeks as well and while I don't feel all guilt tripped to be more consistent about these things, I really just want to do them more often simply because I enjoy them.  Probably needless to summarize, I've been busy.  But not always with matters I had no choice in.  Some of the busyness came from having spent my time reading or watching netflix shows while I cleaned my room or crocheting (or trying to) a full-size blanket or just chilling with Jake, etc. etc. etc.  Truth is that yes, I've been busy but no, I didn't have to be as busy as I have been.  However, being busy, I have accomplished things and I'm glad about that.  I guess it

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig