Skip to main content

Running around and eating good.

"The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead."
-I have no idea who said this.

(I apologize for the lameness of the title.  I couldn't think of something better so I purposely went with 'Lame')
I saw that quote on somebody's blog.  More specifically, I saw that on a previous teacher's blog who is a participant in my city's version of the biggest loser (except here it's called the smallest winner).  Reading his blog has prompted me to take a look at my own life and the choices that I can make to improve on my life, specifically in the area of health.
The quote (though I'm not sure of it's origin) struck me as wise.  It glorifies walking the walk and not just talking the talk and based on some of my blog posts, I'm probably throwing myself under the bus by quoting this because I don't always do that.  But I guess Jesus is the only person who does that all the time anyway...

Quality of life is in the eyes of the beholder but some things are common, general standards.
Health is one of those standards.  I think every culture on earth values health- and with good reason.  When you're not healthy, it usually shows up and either makes you, the people around you, or both, uncomfortable at the least. 
I am aware that especially in some pockets of American culture these days, health and eating well is #trending (see what I did there? What a social network connoisseur I am).  While I am also aware of my apprehension of looking like a poseur, I am really excited about eating better and being healthier, and I have been for a while.  Since I write about things I'm excited about (what a novel concept) I want to write a little bit about when I started getting more interested in health, what I do now and my goals and plans for the future in the way of health. 
I know that saying about "if you haven't got your health you haven't got anything." is bologna (which is not healthy).  But I do think healthy choices can improve some quality of life.  It can definitely be taken too far, but if we aren't proactive about health, it will digress.  If you aren't working toward it, you're loosing it.  That was my non-rhyming, less cliche way of saying, "If you don't use it you loose it".

A little over a year ago is when I first got more interested in being proactive about health.  I was in California with my family for a reunion and my cousin in law was 70(I think) pounds lighter than when I had seen her last.  She said that she had started eating better and exercising and just putting that little bit of extra effort into making healthy choices.  With most people, seeing a transformation like that is motivating, but with her, for some reason, it was extra motivating.  I saw that someone very similar to me made small changes for the better (changes that they actually enjoyed implementing) and that it was very possible for me to do the same in my own life.  I played sports in high school but that was more for fun than exercise.  Plus, I've been out of high school for a while now.  So even as I was there, I started running and going on walks more often.  And I suppose that's where it all began.

Investing in gear that makes you feel like a pro is a good idea.  At least for me it was.
My black fitted running capris are da best.

I got home and started making running a regular activity and planned to sign up for a 5k, but a week beforehand, twisted my ankle and didn't end up doing that.  I kept casually running after it recovered though, and even continued in the winter at an indoor track at a university nearby, which was such a great resource.  Once this spring came, I resumed outside running and it got me thinking about how I wanted to run with a purpose.  So I used the trusty old internet and found a 5k to train for.  I downloaded an 8-week couch-to-5k training program app and completed my first session on June 14th, exactly 3 months ahead of time.  I'm now on week 4.  If you do the math, you'll find that 3 months is more than 8 weeks but I did this on purpose in case of missing running days here and there.

It tells me when to start &stop
running.  It doesn't get much
simpler than that.
(btw, it's called C25K free)
The basic outline of the training program is to alternate running with walking over the course of approximately 30 minutes each workout and to up the amount of running each week.  I don't know if it's the most pleasant way to train, but I've decided to stick with it and see how things go.  I try to run about every other day, but recently it's been about twice a week and that's fine with me.  It's tough but I do see progress and I never dread going running.  I have a seperate app that tracks where, how far and how many calories I burn running and that's fun to look at as well.  Putting a good playlist on and heading out the front door to wherever my feet will take me is a really good feeling and I'm usually pretty excited about it. I really enjoy setting goals for myself and my body feeling good after word.  Especially since I have the luxury of sitting on my butt all day at work, it's a nice change.

As you probably know, exercise isn't the only aspect to good health.  It's actually not even the most important part in my book.  The most important part is eating right.  So now, I must address the food side of my health.  And now, I must tell you, I have f-a-i-l-e-d at eating right for quite some time.
It's not that I haven't been healthy at all, it's just that I know I could be doing a lot better with what I eat and most of the time, I go for more convenience than health and we all know where that will land you (hint: somewhere between the Taco Bell and Panda Express counters in the food court).
Last night, I was telling my boyfriend that I wanted to start eating healthier and he asked me if I had any plans in place to make that actually happen, since I say that sort of often (and it's true, I do) but I don't always follow through on it.
So, here's my rough draft plan for eating better:

1. Cut back // carbs and sugars 
I've never had too big of an issue with portion control, but it doesn't take many carbs and sugars to do some damage.  I'm not going to be super strict on this because I'm not trying to diet, I'm trying to make it a lifestyle, but if I'm living by the other rules, this shouldn't be very hard and it won't matter as much when I make exceptions to this rule.  Still, I want to steer clear of these when I can.

2. Plan ahead // snacks and meals
If I plan ahead and have already eaten/bring fruits, veggies, and healthy meals, I won't be as tempted to just fill up on whatever is there (and usually said 'whatever' isn't as good for you).  This leads me to the next...
It's not like I'm even making that big of a sacrifice.
Grapes are easy and delicious for crying out loud.

3. Raw or non-processed & water // as much as I want
It's pretty nice to be able to eat as much as you want of something when you've been watching what you eat, but with raw fruit, veggies, and water, this is not too good to be true.  I mean, I won't get too crazy, but I do want to focus on filling up with things like this.  Now raw food doesn't always hit the spot, so after I've satisfied my initial hunger with something good for me, I'm okay with topping it off with something not-as-good.  It just boils down to reaching for the carrots when I want some chips and if I still want some chips, then having a few.

4. Be smart & do the work // make it the new normal
I think health really does come down to  lifestyle and habits.  Establishing healthy ways of doing things, getting into the swing of it, and making that my go-to is the best way, I think, for a long-term change for the healthier.  If I do a little extra work now make smart choices my new normal, after a while it won't be hard work anymore and I won't be going out of my way to be healthy.

I'll write update posts for exercise and eating goal successes/failures as well as ideas I find for doing both in creative and fun ways.  Stay tuned :P



Popular posts from this blog

to just BE

This semester of college is officially over as of last friday when I emailed my english teacher my final essays.  Halleluyer! I just checked and the last time I posted here was almost a month ago. It definitely feels like waaaay longer though and I've been itching to write again.  I've basically abandoned my podcast the past few weeks as well and while I don't feel all guilt tripped to be more consistent about these things, I really just want to do them more often simply because I enjoy them.  Probably needless to summarize, I've been busy.  But not always with matters I had no choice in.  Some of the busyness came from having spent my time reading or watching netflix shows while I cleaned my room or crocheting (or trying to) a full-size blanket or just chilling with Jake, etc. etc. etc.  Truth is that yes, I've been busy but no, I didn't have to be as busy as I have been.  However, being busy, I have accomplished things and I'm glad about that.  I guess it

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig