Skip to main content

Diary of a Bride to Be

You may say the title is cheesy, and you would be completely right.  But that's fine.

I keep finding myself laying in bed with my eyes closed, ready to drift off to sleep, thinking, "Oh yeah, I want to be keeping better record of these days by journaling more," but it hasn't happened for a while, and I can't stand not keeping any record of these >10 days until I get married.  In fact, I want it to be the opposite.  You see, lately I've been making it my subtle mission to soak up every moment.  Subtle because I have a lot of "missions" lately, what with the getting married in less than 10 days, but this mission, because of how important I deem it, has been at the front of my mind a lot.  So here are some thoughts and feelings as they come to mind.

Firstly, I was just thinking about why it's so important to me to be soaking it all up in the first place. And it's fairly simple: my life is changing a lot.  But at the same time, in a lot of ways it's not, and I hope it doesn't change too terribly much, because I'm pretty content with the way my life is.
While many things will be changing for the better, I'm hoping some of the things that I'm having to say goodbye to in their present state won't change a whole lot.  Namely, my relationship with my parents and sister.
As small as it may seem, things like driving here at night and stepping in the door and having my two little dogs bark at me will be something I miss.  Or seeing a light shine from around the corner and knowing my dad is sitting in the living room reading the newspaper or watching something on PBS. Like my mom and I being the last people still up at night and when I tell her I'm off to bed, her shuffling over in her slippers to hug me with floss in her hand and her hair up in little clips while she does her bedtime routine.  Or like my sister coming home from work or school and fixing herself (and usually me too) a grilled cheese on the George Foreman while telling me about some crazy dream she had last night.

Of course none of those things are going away permanently, but I know they will be different, and most likely fewer and further between than I'm used to.  And although I might miss them sometimes, it's alright with me that they are changing- as long as, knowing what is coming, I can stand here in these moments and memories that I still have, in the ways I've always known them, with my eyes wide open and a smile on my face, taking it all in.

I feel a little bit like Cinderella, and the clock is ticking.  And I know midnight is coming, except in my case, midnight is bringing good with it.  I'm trying to enjoy the time I have left at this Ball of Life As I Know It, before I go on to find out what all of these small things I cherish will look like from the other side.

It sounds sort of dramatic, just like the title, but there is the truth of where I am right now.

Sweet Dreams,



Popular posts from this blog

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

to just BE

This semester of college is officially over as of last friday when I emailed my english teacher my final essays.  Halleluyer! I just checked and the last time I posted here was almost a month ago. It definitely feels like waaaay longer though and I've been itching to write again.  I've basically abandoned my podcast the past few weeks as well and while I don't feel all guilt tripped to be more consistent about these things, I really just want to do them more often simply because I enjoy them.  Probably needless to summarize, I've been busy.  But not always with matters I had no choice in.  Some of the busyness came from having spent my time reading or watching netflix shows while I cleaned my room or crocheting (or trying to) a full-size blanket or just chilling with Jake, etc. etc. etc.  Truth is that yes, I've been busy but no, I didn't have to be as busy as I have been.  However, being busy, I have accomplished things and I'm glad about that.  I guess it