Skip to main content

My Life as of Late

I haven't posted in a while (or at least it feels that way)and I really wanted to share (with whoever ends up reading this) what I've been learning.  It's hard to categorize since we don't learn things in nice little categories and compartments-life does not happen in nice little categories and compartments.  But I'll give it my best shot anyway.

The first and boldest thing is that God's not out to get me and what He is really most concerned with is my heart.
One night I was laying in bed feeling drenched in guilt and then the truth hit me like a bolt of lightning.  What really matters is my heart, because everything else is not going to last anyway: my image, my emotions, my happiness, not even my sin.  So then if my heart is saved, my sin doesn't constitute who I am. So even if I'm surrounded by my own filth and nastiness, something that isn't rotting away lives inside of me.  And that something (really someone) is the Real Thing.  The Truth, the Light, the Rock that can't rot away.  
I guess I really don't know how to convey the full realization of how that hit me with just words. Basically, for some reason, I've been blessed to be able to understand the truth that I have been made new no matter what I DO.
I have realized that I had been trained to look for the guilt after I did something I knew was wrong but that's not what God wants to give me and He is the only voice I want to be listening to. So I can stop listening for the guilt.  There is so much freedom in that, I would probably burst even beginning to try to describe it.  And that's just the beginning.

In the midst of this, I'm starting to get it into my head and heart that if I'm not defined by the bad things I do, I'm also not defined by the good things I do.  My rituals and habits of self-righteousness aren't what make me clean.  If the things I do bring a smile to the face of God then I will be fulfilling my highest calling as a human being but they aren't what has saved me.  To pretend that they are is really a slap in the face to God and a heartbreaking weight that I cannot carry without crumbling.  And I was trying to.  Turns out, taking a step back from the things I was using to make myself feel like I deserved grace was exactly what the Lord was waiting for so He could come make my view of Him more right.  The freedom that He has given me through that enlightenment is pretty sweet too.  I'm really excited for Him to show me more truth cause I feel like I can't get enough.  There's just nothing like it.
  

Popular posts from this blog

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig