Skip to main content

A Rummage Sale of Thoughts


Written 7/3/12, typed and added to 7/17/12

I have so much to write about I don’t know how to craftily fashion it all together.  It would be easier for me to just put it in a pile and let you sort through it all like a rummage sale.  That way you can just take what you want from it.  That sounds good- I’ll do that.

Well, let me start out with acknowledging the fact that I haven’t written in a pretty long time.  I don’t like that fact but I am by no means going to beat myself up over it. Especially because the reason I haven’t written is that life has been busy lately and I pick paying attention to real life over a blog most any day.  But it’s things from life that I enjoy writing about so don’t get me wrong- even though I haven’t been blogging, I want to be and I have a lot to say.

Okay so back to what I was saying about having a lot to say.  And not to beat this dead horse of an analogy but even at rummage sales, the tables are categorized (usually, sometimes).  What I mean by that is that I need to be at least a little organized about the way I unload all these thoughts.  So we’ll have labeled piles, ok? Ok. 

Pile #1: I’m on vacation! (Well, when I wrote this part of the post I was)

So if it were a research project, I would be in the process of gathering resources for a big post I’m working on about vacation.

Teaser: I’m in California and it involves a lot of pictures!  I can’t wait for that one.  Oh and I also want to share some of my airplane playlist with you too!

Pile #2: A.K.A. random thoughts & possible future post ideas.

§  Trending.  You know, so very often I find myself drawn to something, thinking that I like it.  But there have been a few times lately when I’ve found myself drawn to something not because I really think it’s beautiful, but because it’s trending.  Because people around me seem to like it.  And while not all that is trending is bad, that’s no reason to make yourself like something if you actually don’t inside.  That’s selling yourself short.  Chances are there are other people out there who will also appreciate what you really think is beautiful so don’t settle for just trending. 

§  Some of the weirdest things make me tired.  Exhibit A: sometimes spending the whole day sitting in a car can make me more tired than if I had spent the whole day outside running.  Exhibit B: Taking pictures tires me out sometimes.  Not so much the actual taking pictures but always being on the lookout for a good scene to capture can get tiring, although I enjoy getting a good picture enough that usually I consider it worth it.

§  I like California a lot but I miss the cloudy skies and thunder storms of Indiana. 

I also miss my running shoes (see next bullet point).

I also miss the mall there. 

And my friends who live there.

And familiar surroundings.

And a routine in my life.

Vacations are great but it’s a good thing they don’t last forever.

§  I look forward to getting back to start exercising more often.   As part of the Day Zero Project (101 things in 1001 days) I made myself a goal to go running every day for 30 days at some point in the 1001 days.  I still plan to follow through but thus far, the goal has been kicking my butt.  Partially because I pseudo started the 30 days on vacation.  Surprisingly I did ok while I was on vacation, but once I got home it was hard to find time to go running the first few days so I went a few days without it.  I went running again yesterday though so maybe I’ll actually keep it going today and the next 28 days.  We’ll see.

§  As sad as it is, I will have impaired judgment sometimes.  As a human it’s a default of mine to think that my judgment is always correct.  But that actually isn’t true.  Even if I know the truth and have a lot of knowledge of a matter, it takes me giving the situation to Jesus for me to even begin to have a right view of what’s going on.  My hope in spite of the knowledge that I don’t always know how I should regard things is that I can entrust myself to the only just judge- like Jesus did. And know that He actually is the just judge, not just in words, but in truth.  Really, He is.  And if you think He isn’t, guess who’s wrong?  Clue: Not the just judge.

§  I’ve had a lot on my mind and heart lately.  I can’t and won’t and don’t want to talk about it (especially on here).  I will say that it’s been bad news.  The kind of news that shakes you up and seems like a dream before you remind yourself again that it’s true.  The kind of news that is merciless in the speed and impact with which it hits you.  I feel like I lost a limb and keep trying to use it just to find that it’s gone.  I’m sad about this news not only for myself but for others too.  I didn’t really think something like this would hit me like it did but here I am, hit hard.  Hit hard but still here.  It will be alright.  I’ve been spending a lot of time talking it out with and giving it over to the Lord though.  I don’t know how I would be if it weren’t for that.

Pile #3: In other news . . .

I realized how much I enjoy fixing up/making/personalizing clothes and jewelry.  My sister does too.  So the thought crossed my mind to open an etsy shop and she liked that thought too.  (I know what you’re thinking.  What a hipster move! :p)

We’re not making any promises and even if we were, they wouldn’t be coming to fruition for a while yet.  But maybe.  Maybe.

 _____________________________________________________________

I’m back home now and glad to be here.  I’m glad that it’s summer although I could go for some sweatshirt  weather one of these days.  I’m glad to have this love with the Lord that brings light to everything in my life.  I’m glad for the hope I have in Him.  I’m glad for a lot of things in spite of the hardships of life because I know even the hardships are for a purpose. 
Hopefully I'll be posting soon.  Have a good day, kay?

Popular posts from this blog

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace