Skip to main content

Thankful: new hobbies and such

In honesty (and honestly, I want you to always expect that I'm always honest) I'm having a rough time thinking of a thankful post that I don't feel is cliche or cheesy or a repeat of something I've already written on, but the fact is, when I'm real thankful for things in my life, I guess you're gonna get multiple posts on some things. 
I've written about (in no particular order) hands, my heart hurting but in a sweet way, skype, the real life things that are better than posting stuff online, scheduled publishing, writing, the hiccups (in life), the future week at camp and getting a break from real life, my past week at camp and its highlights, food, your patience, the world wide web, the power of the Holy Spirit, Chicago and the opening of my Etsy shop (about that... it's not going super hot),  that Jesus is constant, the realization about how the internet isn't entirely real (and that I should take it with a grain of salt), art, freedom, music, diversity, the feeling of thankfulness, and the Psalms.  Okay.  So looking at that list, I suppose there are a lot of different things in there.  But I still want to do something fresh and new (I sound like a TV network looking for their next show idea).

So, today I'll write about some new things in my life that I'm thankful for.

1. Podcasts
I've had an iPod/iPhone for over a year but it never occured to me that I could (and would enjoy) listening to people talk.  Of course, person that I am, I've listened to talk radio on the occasional afternoon drive home from work (and I've liked it), but it's sort of a toss up of whether or not I'd be in the mood for the type of talking they do on talk radio so it was rather occasional and nothing more.  But then it dawned on me (by way of my boyfriend doing so) that I could get podcasts of what I wanted to hear and play them in my car.  And if I wasn't in the mood to listen to people talk, I could simply switch over to my music-or turn it all off and enjoy the golden silence. 
I have a radio transmitter and a good channel, so it's like I have my own radio station of interviews, sermons and music at my fingertips.  It's fantastic!  And it makes the 30 minute commute to and from work a little more fun.
I know he looks like he wants to be a
rockstar, but I promise you can't
hear the leather jacket in the podcast.
I've been listening to the Nerdist podcasts (some of which, I'll warn you are a bit crude) but, for instance, the interview with Tony Hale is golden (I seem to like that word today don't I?).  Also, I've been listening to a Singaporian preacher named Joseph Prince.  He has this accent which adds some diversity and a good sense of humor but what I like most is that he preaches the gospel of grace with a lot of boldness.  His most repeated sentence: look to Jesus.  While there are a few things here or there I don't know if I necessarily agree with 100%, I'm blessed by a majority of what he says and you can't go wrong looking to Jesus. 





2. Sewing (with a machine)

Don't be fooled by the sad expression on
my face-I was happy to be
 sewing although, this particular project kind of
took a nose dive. It didn't quite
turn out the dress of my dreams...
I've always wanted to learn how to use a sewing machine but never knew how I would attain that knowledge and/or and sewing maching on which to apply it.  BUT a few weeks ago when my mom, in a movement to rearrange her room (or something), carried a sewing machine past me to the front room, I knew this was the time.  I asked her to teach me how to use the thing and it's become my new favorite hobby.  For a while, I've really liked the idea of sewing/creating my own styles and clothing, but by hand, that can be a big big job.  So I'm real glad for this new hobby/creative outlet and the resource with which to do it. 






3. Fantasy homebuyer/vacationer
Lately, person that I am, I've vaguely been looking into buying a house.  Not right now, but sometime in the fairly near future, I would seriously consider it.  Why? you may ask.  In the words of the SNL/Lonely Island  "YOLO" song, because "renting is for suckers right now".  And I wouldn't just tell everybody this, (which I am, in fact, practically doing since I'm writing it on the internet) but Lord willing, I'm not that super far away from getting married, at which time, I would really not want my man and I to live with my PARENTS.  It's just not gonna fly for me. Anyway, all that to say, there's a little justification for me wanting to look at houses.  Besides that, ever since I was little my sister and I would draw houses and include furniture and doors and even which way the doors swung out to.  I've always enjoyed imagining houses and what all could be done with them.  So.... when I got an email advertising a free homebuyer's app, I got it.  And I've been having fun playing around on it and getting a feel for what I would/n't want in a house and what that would look like budget-wise. 
As for being a fantasy vacationer, I was inspired by an email in this as well (I didn't realize how much impact they had on me.  If you want to reach me, I guess you now know how).  Groupon sends out emails promoting their deals.  Usually upon seeing the shake weight and watch deal emails, I sigh, consider unsubscribing, decide I'm too lazy right now, and just delete.  But the groupon getaway emails are a different story.  Yes, there's a chance I could go to one of the featured destinations for a vacation, but mostly, it's just for the fun of imagination that I swipe through the hotel room slideshows and read the fine print on the deal (which, with groupon, is usually sorta amusing).  A few days ago, I decided to look at a deal for a hotel in New York City.  I've always wanted to go there anyway so I really had no choice but to do a little research and see what would go into visiting the place.  And now, un/fortunately, I know it isn't that unattainable.  Scratch that "/" because really, I'm glad it wouldn't be as overwhelming as I once thought a trip to New York City would be.  That just makes it difficult to wait for when I do get to go (again, Lord willing).  Anyway, I've been enjoying my realistic fantasizing about homes and visiting New York.

This concludes this weeks episode on (fresh and new-to-me) things I'm thankful for.  They're definitely not vital to life, but they make life a little more enjoyable and I'm glad to have 'em.

Popular posts from this blog

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig