Skip to main content

Today

This morning, I hit snooze on my alarm a few times.  I also woke up with dark circles under my eyes and a headache that still hasn't left.  There was no coffee already made and on the way to work, my heat kept going sort of neutral instead of blasting me with warmth like I would have liked.  I read a chapter of Colossians but got fidgety and decided to try and do some homework which I just couldn't make myself pay attention to either.  I just decided to pray that the Lord would help my heart to just be content.

This morning, my boss came up to the front office where I answer the telephones and greet visitors.  He told me he had just gotten off the phone with a woman who was in tears when she called.  He said that her husband had died last night.

Her husband died last night.
I'm not trying to be dramatic, but sometimes I just want to linger in the weight of something like that.

I woke up this morning and drudged through the way to work, half asleep.  Today has been altogether pretty unremarkable for me.  Not necessarily bad, but not really good.  Just unremarkable.
This lady's morning is completely different from any morning she has ever experienced.  Her husband died last night. 
Last night, I was on the phone talking to Jake in the minutes leading up to 12 AM so that I could be the first one to wish him a happy birthday. 
Today is his birthday, and today is someone else's first day without her husband by her side.

I couldn't help but think, "What am I going to do?" because the thought that a day like hers is coming for me assaulted my mind and shook me up.  I could be scared of that for my whole life, dreading the day when I would lose the person that means the most in the whole world to me. But I don't want to live that way.

Today is his birthday.  I know I'm not guaranteed any certain amount of time, whether for me or people I love, but instead of worrying about something that I can do absolutely nothing about, I want to celebrate.  Celebrate that he was born.  Celebrate that God made him to be so perfect for me.  Celebrate that this is the second birthday I've been able to celebrate with him and that I hope for so many more.  Celebrate that even when our bodies die, we will still be alive and with God.
I don't know how my life will pan out and it might be something completely different from what I would have planned or preferred, but I know that I have a lot to celebrate-now and always.

I don't want to spend our precious time together being afraid or worried or sad or even just neutral.  I want to spend every minute I can, full of joy with you.  In good times and bad times and just the everyday, sometimes unremarkable times.  You're my best friend and the love of my life and I am so glad to bless your socks off, today and every day.
Happy birthday, Jake.

Popular posts from this blog

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace