Skip to main content

January 2nd

Sometimes, I like to go through my journal and read what I've written there.  Sometimes, it makes me want to cringe.  Sometimes it gives me a little reminding hope that I'm not as scatterbrained as I sometimes feel.  Sometimes it will be exactly what I needed to read and through it, I am encouraged that the Lord does speak through me-even if it's to speak to myself.  Today, I felt compelled to read my last entry, so I did.  Coincidentally, I've also wanted to post on here today.  I'd like to post more often, even if it's just one liners.  I want to put pieces of my life up here like a storage box or scrap book that I (and hopefully you) can flip through and enjoy-now and later.  These two things together were the recipe for this here post today.  Here's from January 2nd. It's from after Jake gently challenged me to spend more of my time doing things that are good for me instead of often simply sinking into things I call "rest" but in reality don't give much rest at all.  It's sort of my (late) new years blog post but without your typical resolution list.

Here's what I want to do: less of what I feel like simply because I feel like it and more of what's good for me. For Jesus, for Jake, for my heart's good. For our future, for the sake of being spiritually hot instead of lukewarm, and for the best quality of relationships. I don't believe in any special power of the beginning of the year, but I'm glad for this call from the Lord (through Jake) at this particular time. Because in the past, when I remember my faith and devotion and being strong, I can never put my finger on when or why- I just know it happened and that it was good. But today, I can say and know that not only has this week been a "wake up" one, but that Jake was instrumental in it's happening although I give the Holy Spirit in him the credit for that. I know that Jake cares that I'm putting my brain to good use and even when I'm not doing that to the utmost, I'm thankful that he is the kind of person that has the depth to sense these things and hold me to them. But more so, that he holds me to seeking my Father in order to find that depth. I'm so happy that this man, my best friend, calls depth out in me. And that ultimately, depth is found in God. So even when jake is not advertently pushing me to grow closer to Jesus, when he calls me to be deeper, he is calling me to draw closer to the God who goes deeper than anything I could understand or know now or forever. Thank you, God, that this is only the beginning.
 
This isn't my only goal for this next year, but this is something I definitely want to impliment more and more as a lifelong pursuit and I'm thankful for a lifelong best friend who challenges me and holds me to the challenge.

Popular posts from this blog

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

The tiny, solo roadtrip I didn't know I needed.

Sometimes when I'm in the mood to give back and post for once, I get frustrated that all I find on my camera roll are functional photos of lists or candles or dress colors or something wedding related. And I don't know about you, but at least the way I take my "reminder photos" is not artsy or glamorous and they don't make for great instagrams. If I instagrammed my "reminder pics", you would probably mistake me for a super awkward middle schooler or someone well seasoned in life (no offense, awkward and old people). My reminder photos are unfiltered, crooked, grainy and are meant for function only. Hopefully by now you get the picture (pun intended). To be analytical, that's the way my life has been lately. I haven't worked hard on a cool graphic design project or gone out and shot any amazing photos that I'm super proud of, or even spent time investing in relationships that I can recap with a nice post at the end of the day. The thing ab