Skip to main content

This strange life.

Life is made of the strangest things.

Helpless infants, helpless old people, sunsets, sunless tanner, broken hearts and hopes, natural highs, punk rock, musicals, weddings, fragranced body lotioin, dirt roads, authors, autistic people, kiddie pools, the ocean, cookouts, steakouts, netflix, knitting, nailpolish, mowing the lawn, eating out, the zoo, body spray, coffee, funerals, birthday parties, hot air balooning . . .

The list goes on.
 And I don't even have a theme in mind for this post as I write it, standing here in the middle of the cosmetics section of a department store.  Just that life is so full of EVERYTHING and at this very moment, I don't really know how to feel about that.
A little scared, some disappointment and worry, some excitement and nervousness.  Exhaustion and the jitters.  Overwhelm, sadness, hope, neutrality, positivity, nothing at all.

I guess I sort of do have a point, only because it's something I need to hear today.

Life is huge.  And messy.  And happy, and sad and overwhelming and indescribable in its entirety.  But I know that in the midst of this unexplainable life, there is a God who loves me and is strong.

Even though it's not every day that the thought of life being so vast shakes me to my core, I know that every day, including these days, I can trust Him.

And even though that doesn't make life any less of a big scary monster, I know I'm safe in my Father's arms as I face it.


Popular posts from this blog

to just BE

This semester of college is officially over as of last friday when I emailed my english teacher my final essays.  Halleluyer! I just checked and the last time I posted here was almost a month ago. It definitely feels like waaaay longer though and I've been itching to write again.  I've basically abandoned my podcast the past few weeks as well and while I don't feel all guilt tripped to be more consistent about these things, I really just want to do them more often simply because I enjoy them.  Probably needless to summarize, I've been busy.  But not always with matters I had no choice in.  Some of the busyness came from having spent my time reading or watching netflix shows while I cleaned my room or crocheting (or trying to) a full-size blanket or just chilling with Jake, etc. etc. etc.  Truth is that yes, I've been busy but no, I didn't have to be as busy as I have been.  However, being busy, I have accomplished things and I'm glad about that.  I guess it

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

But I Press On

We're not perfect people.  Nobody is.  I don't think anyone, in seriousness, would even claim to be. It's a fact of being human that we fall down sometimes. I get caught up in the non-priorities as if they really mattered.  I waste my time.  I try so hard to please the wrong people.  I strive for things unattainable that turn out to be phantoms in the end.  I hurt the ones I love the most and put my best smile forward when it comes to strangers. I. Have. Failed. When it's most obvious to me that I've failed, it's really hard to have any motivation to pick myself up and keep going.  There's nothing as discouraging to me than looking at how badly I've blown it AND the fact that it happens again and again. "But last time I tried to get out of this mud pit I failed so why would it be any different this time?", is the main thought that goes through my head when I finally realize my need to get out of the rut I'm in. "He lifted me o