Skip to main content

Speaking.

I write because I enjoy the art of effective communication without any noise.  And because it's fun.  And because I think sometimes I communicate better with words silently than out loud.   At least I prefer it, sometimes.  One of my love languages is words I think, (although it's not my main one) but some days I just don't have a way with them.

Some days I do.  Sometimes it's really easy for me to find words for the notion in my head.  But sometimes the words that come out of my mouth have more of a figurative likeness to scrambled eggs than to eloquence.

It's frustrating.  I aspire to be a wordsmith. About 30% of the time, it's safe to say I'm not incredibly endowed in the art of words, 15% of the time I am far from it, 35% of the time I don't notice either excessive lack or abundance of this certain talent and 20% of the time I have the privilege of easily expressing my thoughts.
Actually though, with enough focus, time and the right mindset and circumstances, we can probably scrap all the approximate statistics above and say that it really is possible that I could be good with words.
As humbling as it is to admit upon reading it, I can relate with Moses in the Bible when He said,
"Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and tongue." (Exodus 4:10)  
It was the fourth "If, And or But" kind of thing Moses had said in his conversation with the Angel of the Lord who appeared as a flame of fire in the burning bush.  In the first, he reminded the omniscient God that he  wasn't the type of person who should be sent to talk to Pharoh and bring the Children of Israel out of Egypt.  In the second, he wanted to know what to say when he would inevitably get questioned by the people of Israel.  In the third, he said that they wouldn't believe the answer he gave them from the previous question.  In the fourth he finally said that he didn't have the eloquence or the quickness of speech to do what God had called him to.

"Then the Lord said, "Who has made man's mouth?  Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind?  Is it not I, the LORD?  Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak." But he said, "Oh, my Lord, please send someone else."  Then the anger of the Lord was kindled against Moses . . . " (Exodus 4: 10-14a)

I worry.
I worry that when the time comes for me to show my true colors through words eloquently laced together, they will instead fall straight from my mouth to the ground.  But I have heard the Lord say it before and I hear it now just the same to me as when He said it to Moses: "I will be with your mouth and teach you what you will speak."
And instead of making excuses and kindling the Lord's anger, I'll just trust.  That He has the words for me to speak and knows when I need to speak them.  That in this instance, like many others, He gives me what I need when I need it and no more- because He wants me to lean on Him alone.

There will most probably be times when I make myself look stupid because of what I say, struggle to say or fail to say.  But I know that when it really matters, He will give me the words to say.  And everything else I need.

Popular posts from this blog

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my