Skip to main content

CAMP

Camp was a blast.  And a chance to relax.  And time to spend with God.  And time to work through things in my heart.  It wasn't always easy or fun, but it was good. Here are a few snapshots from last week. I don't think a thousand words could do as good of a job of explaining some of these things and really, even pictures aren't enough.

Sipping coffee on the bench swing in the morning and looking out over the camp.  Just me, Jesus, coffee, and beautiful scenery.  Definitely something I've missed.
 
 
I really enjoy looking over the water and being reminded of the appropriateness of the name of this place; stillwater.

The awesome co-counselor.  I love my Miss Maddy.

There was this game the counselors were playing with flamingos.  You had to find where the last person had hidden them, hide them in a new place and take a picture without getting "flamingo-ed" (getting caught and the person who caught you yells "flamingo").  We got them on the zip line without a hitch.  Score!

Nothing like watching the conniving smiles on their little faces as campers pelt nervous counselors with water balloons.  Somehow I got out of it. =P

The infamous Counselor Burger. It's pretty much just a double cheeseburger with double cheese, but it just always seems better than any other double cheeseburger with double cheese.

Camper watermelon eating contest! The first 3 are mine!
 

Counselor watermelon eating contest! I did it once and regretted it.  This time I decided not to put myself through that and instead get pictures of others doing so.


A sample of my daily schedule.

I got to hold this guy! Justice Henley.  His mommy is a friend I've known forever and she and her husband (and Justice) live on the camp.  I'm so happy for his life :)  BTW, I was trying to look like this.  He was crying and I thought it was a great awkward photo opp.



I missed this too- Campers sitting and listening in the foreground, someone wise speaking in the back. In this case, it's Mr. Jim, the camp director. I could probably write a whole post of stories about this wise man and his love for God and the campers over the years.
 

Doodling during class.

I got to go running after all!  I got this stunning sky in front of me, this soulful song in my ears and my favorite running pants and shirt on.  It was nice. Real nice.
 
Every time I'm at camp, it's a chance to grow out of being such a chicken about bugs.  Specifically spiders.  I couldn't see what was lurking in the back of this cubby in the tent, so I took a picture with flash to find out it was just a leaf.  Phew.

My home sweet home for most of last week.  It really is quite nice for being a tent in nature.  I never found any bugs inside except maybe the occasional mosquito or moth, so that was a treat.


I didn't get a picture of this, but half way through, Jake came out to visit me at camp.  It was so refreshing and restful to be with him in the middle of a tiring and wearing week and it meant so much to get to hug my best friend sooner than I thought I would.
 

 Lastly, but certainly not anywhere near least, is this. One of the whole reasons I could go to camp: the campers.  Getting to take care of, share with, serve and learn from them is the most fulfilling part of being able to go to camp at all.
Every week of camp, counselors agree that there's at least one camper you especially connect with. This is that camper.  It was her first time ever going to camp but she was so brave and sweet even though she had some hard moments of being away from home.  I was honored to be her counselor and so thankful to spend the week the way I did.

Popular posts from this blog

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my