Skip to main content

Juice Fasting: Day 1 (PM) and Day 2


The"Not That Great But Also Not Horrible"juice of tomato, kale,
broccoli, and basil, blended with ice and rice protein powder.  I
consumed this one before the gym yesterday afternoon.

The rest of day 1 was a little less fun than the morning had been.  I'm sure some of that could be attributed to the fun and novelty of juice fasting wearing off a bit and the reality of the withdrawal and detoxing really setting in.  I've read an article that sort of disagrees with the idea that our bodies actually 'save up' toxins and that instead, our bodies are actually continually detoxing- it just does so more when you stop taking in toxins and give your body a chance to catch up.  Either way, I'm feeling it right now.  I've had an on and off headache where I can feel the blood vessels in my temples pulsing, but I think that makes it sound a little worse than it is.  I'm really not doing too bad and the headache is about the only thing that's different than ordinary.
One awesome thing: I haven't felt hungry at all, or at least not as much as I would think I should after not eating since yesterday morning.  My stomach feels different- not hungry and not upset and I don't feel a void or anything- just different.  I think this is a good reminder of how big of a role water plays in whether or not we feel hungry.  Sometimes, the truth is that we are, but sometimes if eaten recently, that hunger might be just as well quenched with a glass of water as a nice, juicy, salted, cheesy burger.  I really want a burger.  Anyway, it helps for resisting food when I know I'm not truly hungry.  I'm figuring out that more than actually being hungry, I want the taste of food pretty bad.  For instance, if I was eating and you put some real turkey breast (not the nice salty cold meat stuff) in front of me, I probably wouldn't eat it, because I'm not actually hungry.  It's the taste of the cracked pepper and lemon, salted cold meat turkey that actually sounds good to me right now- proving that I'm not really hungry.  I just want food for it's taste.  This is fairly enlightening and I hope to remember this concept once I'm eating real food again.  Paired with self-control, I think it will be helpful to remember this.
 
So on to the rest of the day: After I got home from class, I whipped myself up another juice, this time consisting of grapefruit, oranges, and carrots.  It was pretty good.  I blended it up with some ice and it was wonderful. Yesterday was my dad's birthday, so my family was going out to eat for lunch (of course, I chose to begin a juice fast on a family holiday).  They got their delicious vietnamese food and I got some jasmine tea which turned out to be good since it has low caffeine and I'm not supposed to be having caffeine.  I stayed strong despite the spring rolls. 
We drove home and I wasn't feelng super hot by then, so I layed down and had a very pleasant nap.  When I woke up, I made myself the smoothie pictured above and made my way to the gym.  I felt very normal at the gym and afterword, although I did feel a little weak, I wasn't feeling bad by any means.  After I had come home, showered and relaxed a little, I made myself another juice (the apple and berries one below).  Once Jake got off of work I headed over to hang out with him and then came home.  I was pretty tired by that time and my head was sort of throbbing.  I was sort of glad about being so tired though because I've been wanting to get to bed earlier and this sort of pushed me to the edge.

Today: Woke up a little too late, but still had time to make a large juice to drink half for breakfast and half for lunch.  It's been a quiet day at work and my head hurts a little bit but other than really really wanting a burger, I'm doing alright.  I'll keep it posted.


The best juice I've had yet: granny smith apples, kiwi, blueberries, strawberries and.....beets. 
Bears.  Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
Yes, it's mostly fruit so there was a lot of sugar, but it was a really good pick-me-up.



The healthiest (and most unpleasant, but it wasn't that bad) juice I've made so far (pictured
in its final form above).

Popular posts from this blog

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace