Skip to main content

Juice Fasting: Day 3 and Day 4 (AM)

I wrote a post on Tuesday which I meant to post then, but for some reason when I just looked at my posts it was still a draft.  Sorry about that. It's up now here, if you want to go read it. 

A few things:
1. I miscounted- I will actually be doing this for 5 days, not 6, like my first Juice Fast post states.  I would just keep doing it for a week or 10 days except that
A) My sister's graduation party is going to be on Saturday and I don't want to be juicing and cleaning up that mess while we have a hundred people at our house.  Also, and lame as this may be, I simply want to be able to eat the food we're going to have.

This is my fifth refill.  Hand for scale.
and B) I've heard that the worst (and most cleansing) part of juice fasting occurs within the first 2-4 days.  From there, it's still beneficial, but the withdrawal, detox and cleansing portion has basically happened by then.  I figure it's the best of both worlds- I get the benefits (and pains) that come with the first week or so of juicing, and I also get to eat the food I'm helping to make for Sarah's party- but only some of it because I am trying to start a habit of healthier eating after having "detoxed" my body.



2. Update- I think the further I've gone with this, the better and better it's gotten.  Today, I actually woke up too late to make juice so I grabbed a lemon on my way out the door to work.  Once I got here, I cut a few slices and squeezed them into my glass of water.  I'm on my 5th glass in the last 5 hours.  I'm not craving food or even hungry or feeling sick or bad from the lack of juice at all so far.  If I had read this a week ago, I never would have thought I could say such a thing, but it's true. I do plan to have some juice once I get home this afternoon for the nutritional benefit of it, but I feel pretty good for not having eaten in 3 1/2 days.  It's kind of amazing how much of my desire for food is a mental and emotional condition and not nearly as physical as I often think it is.  By denying that physical (or what I thought was physical) desire for food, I'm finding that by not thinking or planning about food, I'm really doing fine without it.  If I was eating, I would probably have decided that it might be time for an apple right now and chowed down on one.  Not that that would have been that bad, but in not giving myself the chance to decide whether or not to eat, I realize that I really don't want it that bad- at least not at this moment.  It's a little more challenging when food is right in front of me, but as long as I don't let my mind wander, I can stand it pretty easily.

If you have never tried authentic,
 fresh squeezed strawberry juice before- DO IT.
Yesterday evening, Jake and I went on an errand run for my mom to the grocery store.  It was a little difficult, but not very- at least not for me.  I think he's still having a little harder of a time with craving things, but hopefully that gets better for him today like it did for me yesterday.
I do have a bit of a headache, which has been here on and off since the first day.  It's not as bad today as it was on day two.  I'm assuming it's a withdrawal headache since the first few days I had cut out coffee and carbs but was still getting natural sugar through the fruit.  I think this headache is a withdrawal symptom of not having had any sugar today, even in fruit form.  Even though I'll probably have a juice containing fruit when I get home this afternoon/evening I think there's benefit from making myself go through the withdrawal of sugar right now.  It's good to make yourself go without sometimes.  Not cause you have to, but just because it's good for you.  Anyway, my back also hurts a little and I'm assuming that can also be attributed to withdrawal. 

We'll see how the rest of today goes but so far, I'm really liking this lemon water thing.  Very refreshing.



Popular posts from this blog

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace