Skip to main content

The House

I sit here in a room on the second floor of this house.  The wind coming in through the vent creates a whistling sound.  It was only so delicately recently that I felt alone here and this sound reminded me of what I would imagine my heart sounded like.  Alone, solitary, dark, abandoned.  There are lights on all over but their rays did nothing to warm my soul and they made no difference.  The paintings on the walls I found myself afraid of at first glance with no explanation of why.  The grand colors on the walls might as well have all been the same shade of gray for all I saw.  The soft carpets under my feet didn't even cross my mind as I trudged from here to there.  In fact I found myself only wanting to sink down onto them, not because of the comfort they would hold but because I just wanted to sit there and block out all the rest and feel you inside.  That's all I want.  I want to feel some warmth, my heart to be filled with something of substancial worth.  This house proves that nothing I can see will ever be able to replace You.
I was feeling so alone.  So solitary, so crushed, so condemned.  At first I thought I was doing the condemning since others were the ones falling prey to the vicious thoughts which came out of nowhere and ran right into my mind.  But when I found myself in the spotlight of my own judgements, I saw that it was me who was under attack and that these judgement arrows I shot only came back around and hurt me.  And then I knew that it was only you who could change things.  Because I could see my guilt and that I am deserving of punishment but that's not the whole story. . .

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9


When the accuser speaks to me even in so loud a voice I think it is my own and I couldn't ignore it, it is in my weakness that Your power is made perfect.  I may not be able to stand a chance on my own in my solitariness when it seems like this coldness I feel is coming from the inside and I can do nothing to warm myself, when it seems like the sound of the wind rushing through the vents of this house is what my heart should sound like.  But somehow in that moment when I know fully that it is not by my own strength that You love me no matter what, You come and fill me with love, with warmth, with fire.  You come and take over.  You do what I was longing for you to do once I finally let go of my fight to have gained it on my own merit- even when what I wanted to achieve was a heart that is worth something.  I can't even do that on my own.
Nothing is different with the house, but something is different inside of me.  I noticed it was chilly so I put on a sweater but I am not cold on the inside anymore.  I don't know what You did but I have a joy and peace that comes only from you and I am reminded that the fire is there.  I think what you did is as simple as answer.  An answer I have nothing to offer in return for except my thanks and my love.  


"Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; 
for love as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave.  It burns like a blazing fire, like a mighty flame.  
Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot sweep it away.  
If one were to give all the wealth of one's house for love, it would be utterly scorned. "  Song of Solomon 8:6-7

Popular posts from this blog

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace