Skip to main content

Time to do the Wash


Have you ever borrowed something like a jacket or sweatshirt or pillow from a friend and noticed that it smells like their house, their laundry detergent or their shampoo?  Or it just smells like them- that smell that just belongs to a person.  And then do you keep smelling it because every time you smell it you can't help but to think of them and it makes you feel like they're nearby?  I do.  And it's something that I happen to like doing.  Maybe I'm weird but whatever.

Sometimes I find myself smelling a sweatshirt that belongs to a friend just for the heck of it- because it's different than how I'm used to my own clothes smelling.  Sometimes though I do it because I miss the person whose sweatshirt I am smelling.  No, I always do it because I miss the person.  But sometimes I do it because I miss the person an especially extra amount.  Sometimes the sweatshirt is how I feel close to them.  And sometimes I do this same thing except not with smell and not with sweatshirts.

Sometimes it's a place that reminds me of a person.  Sometimes it's a smell that reminds me of a place that reminds me of a person.  Sometimes it's a song that I sang to them in my head.  Sometimes it's a song I sang to God about them in my heart.  It fascinates me how brains (especially human ones) work and I think it's generally a pretty cool concept that a smell or song or place can bring back memories like they do.  In some cases though, I've taken this intriguing phenomenon and abused it.  When I miss somebody or I wish there were some way I could be with them now and I just can't, I've leaned on bringing back the emotions of my memories through smelling a smell or visiting a place rather than leaning on the one who made those fond memories possible in the first place.  That being God- obviously.  

He's ok with me not having it all together- He's made it clear that He loves me despite the fact that I obviously don't.  I can miss my friends.  I can savor the sweetness of their presence even when I can't hear the sweetness of their voice.  But there comes a point when it's time to wash the sweatshirt.  It won't keep that smell forever and if I'm going to try to wear it around but still keep the smell by not cleaning it, it's gonna get dirty.  If I try to stuff it in my closet to keep the smell, it's just going to start smelling like closet (and I don't know of anybody that particularly likes that smell).

It's time to give back some of the sweatshirts I've stuffed in my closet in hopes of keeping their smells.  For others that I've been wearing around, it's time time for a wash.  I can still keep some of them but to wear them around dirty just isn't good.  I think I've come a long way with some of my sweatshirts.  With others I'm just realizing that something has to be done with them but I'm just thankful for that realization because now I can figure out what needs to be done with them.
  
Some I've already given back, some I've put in the laundry hamper and some of them I've already washed and now they're clean and I can keep borrowing them.  This is a really complicated analogy but it works for my mind so I hope it does the same for yours and you can see what I'm saying because I think the lesson under the pile of dirty sweatshirts is a good one (pun intended ;).  

Popular posts from this blog

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my