Skip to main content

The Mini Reveal

Okay.  It's time.  Not time for a big reveal or launch or anything, but time to just let you know what I've been working on lately. 
It's been a hobby that has manifested itself in little ways for the past few years: Writing verses in a fancier-than-I-write-my-to-do lists way and taping them up on the walls of my bedroom.  Doing the most rudimentary graphic designing you'd ever seen by situating verses into text boxes alongside scanned pictures of things I had sketched.
I'm not sure what to really call this but it all has to do with writing/drawing words in some sort of artistic manner, painting watercolor swatches, scanning them, and placing them together in publisher.  It's graphic design with a handmade twist, I guess. 
And it's very new to me, but I have been getting so much enjoyment and purposefulness out of it.  Like, this is one of my things.  My niche.  I've realized that this (whatever we're going to call it) is a very fulfilling way of combining my love of text, typography and art all together into one.  I've mentioned several times throughout the posts how much I enjoy and appreciate literature, writing and words while most other art apart from photography has sort of fallen to the wayside for most of my life.  I have my own beliefs and reasons about the psychology of why it is I've seemed to shy away from other art forms like sketching and painting and maybe I'll dive into that sometime, but for now I'll just say that in dabbling with watercolor the past few months, I've discovered that I enjoy working with it and have decided to try to actually be decent  at those things I've left alone so far.
So where did this come from?
It all started one day at Atz, this local ice cream/diner food restaurant.  I was meeting a couple of my friends, Jenny and Katie there that day.  I went to the bathroom to wash my hands and  because I pay attention and think about these kinds of things in the bathroom, thought (no offense, Atz), "this place really needs to re brand."
As I made my way back to the table I told Katie and Jenny what I was thinking and Katie immediately said something like, "Yes! I would love to help design something like that!" and that there was the spark of it.  We talked about our ideas and possibilities and I showed her this verse I had written out and put in the front cover of a binder and she was beyond encouraging about how she thought it was beautiful.  So we both started putting things together and bouncing ideas off of one another and that's been happening for the last month of so, which brings us to today.  I know I've already learned so much about scanning and publisher and dropbox and paper types and pens and sketching and formatting and I still feel like I have a world of knowledge to learn yet.  This is a pretty exciting frontier for me and I really look forward to sharing and writing more about it here.


Here's a little taste of what I'm talking about. This is the first project I started working on and I couldn't even tell you if it's done yet but here's what I have so far.
P.S. The new-ish blog background is my watercolor as well

Popular posts from this blog

Clear The Stage

This song was first brought to my attention a few months ago - when one of my biggest idols was being exposed for what it really was. Since I've been learning all along, but especially today, that vulnerability is something that should increase as you become more and more rooted in the Lord, I will be vulnerable with you here and now.  One of my biggest idols for about half of my life was liking guys.  And while it was specific guys that I would like, my idol was moreso just having someone to daydream, think, talk and pray about. I realize that liking somebody isn't sin in itself.  I actually think that romanctic love is one of the big ways that the Lord is glorified through our hearts as humans.  It became an idol though, because I allowed it to be my god.  I based my relationship with God on how my love life was.  When someone would ask me how I was, I would reply based on my relationship with the person I liked.  When I prayed, a majority of the content of my

Seasons: Right Now

As it has only been since last night that I wrote my first post in my new series, "Seasons", I don't necessarily have a whole lot more to say about my planning for the posts so I think I'm gonna dive right in. Something I like doing is sitting in coffee shops while I blog (VERRY original, I know).  I'm in one right now and have a Pumpkin Pie Chai on one side of the table and a Coconut Chocolate Chip Scone on the other (now you can be jealous of my overpriced and extremely unhealthy consumptions so far today).  This brings me to the first season I'm gonna talk about . . . . RIGHT NOW. Right now I'm 19 years old.  I'm about 3 1/2 months away from moving to Kansas City for at least six months to do an internship at the International House of Prayer.  I'm not a mom, not a wife and for sure don't have everything even close to figured out.  I would go so far as to say that I barely have anything figured out.  Now you're probably trying to fig

Gap Year(s)

In my post about going back to school this fall and the favor I've seen in the process,  I said I would expound on why I'm glad I spent two years out of school.  Now I know I don't always follow up on things I say I'll write "more on later" but I am for this. Let me begin with my plans as a high school senior. In high school I had quite a few changes of plans regarding what I would do after word.  For a while, I planned to go to Ball State. That fell off the wagon for a few reasons that I can't remember now.  A local University was my next consideration, but something kept me from deciding to go for that full fledge.  The plan then became to go to a 6 month school at a Christian organization (more for personal growth than academic gain).  I prayed about that more and realized that I didn't actually feel like God was pointing me to that (although I'm sure if I had gone, it would have been great).  When I let that go, I didn't have a replace