Skip to main content

The Beauty of Vulnerability

Obviously when people are vulnerable, what you see isn't always pretty.  Actually usually it's very nasty and gruesome.
There's a lot of pain whether it's in the past or the present.  If the pain is present, it is a wound.  Wounds may be intriguing sometimes but are usually ugly.
If that pain was in the past, there is now some scar tissue.  Sometimes scar tissue is a good thing, like when it physically comes and takes the place of a wound.  Usually when scar tissue is more emotional and symbolic though, it isn't such a good thing except that it means the absence of the wound.  It's still very messy.
Being vulnerable is something that takes a lot of bravery because the one being vulnerable knows deep down that what is there isn't pretty whether that's wounds or scars.  I want to write tonight about the beauty of vulnerability itself.

There is something to be respected about vulnerability that I don't think one grasps until they either are vulnerable themselves (and understand how much bravery it takes) or see someone else's vulnerability first hand (and understand how much bravery it takes).  The whole system seems to be a little like a cause and effect.
It is beautiful because it deserves respect.  It deserves respect because it takes bravery.  It takes bravery because they know it's ugly.

I realized today that I forgot the aesthetic of vulnerability until I saw it and the effect that it has on community between people.
We live our lives like we're fine and thanks to Jesus Christ, there is the opportunity for us to really be fine.  My point is that before we were fine though, every person I know has some pain that they have come from before they finally turned to the arms of Jesus (if they have done that yet).  Maybe the duration of the pain was short for some but I know that for others, it felt (or feels) like it lasts for ever.  Opening up about the pain makes you vulnerable because people can take your pain and try to use it against you but the beauty in vulnerability is that when you trust someone with your pain, there becomes a new sort of depth to your relationship and to who you are as a person.
As I was laying on my bed praying last night in a half-asleep state, this idea dawned on me.  There is none more beautiful than the Real Thing.  Fake rots away.  Masks fall off.  Pretending gets old.  But the real thing, and I mean the most real thing (the eternal God), will never rot, fall off or get old.  And when He is on the inside, even our most gross wounds are worth being vulnerable about because He is our Healer.  And when we show people our real selves, our former dirty, sinful, painful selves that have been healed and replaced by Jesus, there aren't many things that are more beautiful than that.

This is why I appreciate the beauty of vulnerability so much.  It says "I am imperfect." and that makes room for God to do what He died to do- make people whole.      

Popular posts from this blog

Post Prompts I

I googled blog post prompts just for fun and found a website with a whole bunch.  Rather than writing whole posts on some of the topics, I decided to do interview style responses. Write about the first time you broke the law. When I was 4, stole a handful of grass seed from a store. Felt awful but never admitted to it untill way later. They knew I was lying but never prosecuted (is it even possible to prosecute a 4 year old?).  I discarded the evidence onto their lawn as soon as I got out of the store (I guess that was sort of smart).  Why grass seed? Good question.  Your favorite vacation spot or place that you've traveled to. An Island in Malaysia called Redang. Everything about that place looked like those tropical photos you secretly doubt the existence of.  Straight up B-E-A-U-tiful. Write about the passing of a loved one. My Grandma died 2 years ago on the 4th of July (ironic, don't you think?).  For me, the whole experience was like this doorway into deeper

"The Anna Show"

So something funny I've had on my mind lately: what if my life is like The Truman Show?  I think everybody that's seen that movie has at least had a minute where they thought "O. M. Gosh. What if there's a tv show about my life and everybody is always watching everything I do! Naaaahh." But it's kind of a game I play and it's actually pretty fun.  Don't go thinking I'm narcissistic or have the Truman Show delusion (which is a real psychiatric condition) but sometimes it almost seems credible.  Sometimes people will say exactly what I had been thinking about or acted on a few days before or something will very suspiciously glitch up and repeatedly not work out for me.  But what if my parents aren't really my parents? And my sister isn't really my sister? What if all those acquaintances or people that seem to barely care or know me actually know tons about me?  What if almost everything was the opposite of what I've been lead to bel

to just BE

This semester of college is officially over as of last friday when I emailed my english teacher my final essays.  Halleluyer! I just checked and the last time I posted here was almost a month ago. It definitely feels like waaaay longer though and I've been itching to write again.  I've basically abandoned my podcast the past few weeks as well and while I don't feel all guilt tripped to be more consistent about these things, I really just want to do them more often simply because I enjoy them.  Probably needless to summarize, I've been busy.  But not always with matters I had no choice in.  Some of the busyness came from having spent my time reading or watching netflix shows while I cleaned my room or crocheting (or trying to) a full-size blanket or just chilling with Jake, etc. etc. etc.  Truth is that yes, I've been busy but no, I didn't have to be as busy as I have been.  However, being busy, I have accomplished things and I'm glad about that.  I guess it